This is the 6th edition in the ownership series where we present the top 10 pure play hedge funds and take a look at what they are buying and selling. And for the first time Energy is the top sector buy. Historically, this is how the top 10 pure play hedge funds bought and sold energy.
Net effect of buying/selling per quarter:
- 2013Q2 - Energy ($128) million selling
- 2013Q3 - Energy ($316) million selling
- 2013Q4 - Energy $1,084 million buying
- 2014Q1 - Energy ($284) million selling
- 2014Q2 - Energy ($312) million selling
- 2014Q3 - Energy $4,408 million buying (first time ever in the history of the report that energy has been a top sector buy)
Healthcare sector is 2nd top buy with $3.5 billion, Allergan is no longer the top purchase for the top 10 hedge funds, but rather AbbVie Inc. at $1.9 billion followed by Actavis plc $1.5 billion. Six hedge funds now own AbbVie and seven out of the 10 own Actavis (who was just bought by Allergan for $66 billion.)
Info Tech saw a slight sell off, $497 million, with Apple ($1.3 billion) and Baidu ($921 million). Surprisingly Alibaba is the 3rd top buy with $1.4 billion and jumps into 19th position out of the top 100 for these 10 hedge funds. Due to its IPO in September, five of the hedge funds owned Alibaba.
Source: S&P Capital IQ Quarterly Hedge Fund Tracker
Click below to access: